Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Darwin Journal: On Board Silkair’s Inaugural Flight

This post was drafted on board Silkair’s inaugural flight to Darwin, Australia, Airbus A320 on 26 Mar.

Darwin Logo

I’ve always loved Australia as a holiday destination, which was why hubby and I decided to have our honeymoon in Melbourne & Sydney some 10 years ago. I love the country for its relax-ness, laid back culture and very vibrant cafe & restaurant scene. Therefore, you can imagine my excitement when I got news that I was one of the five winners of the Silkair Facebook contest, and I won for myself a fully-paid 3D2N trip to Darwin! The next thing I knew, a Silkair personnel called and said that they would be very happy to sponsor airfare as well as accommodation for my husband as well! It was almost too good to be true!

Received the itinerary a few days before the trip, and saw that it is a rather packed trip. Nevertheless, I am excited that we are going to visit the landmark places in Darwin. I believe it’s going to be a very fruitful and interesting trip.

IMG_8848

Just before we boarded the aircraft, we were each given a souvenir notebook to commemorate the inaugural flight to Darwin, and also a certificate to prove that I was one of the passengers onboard the inaugural flight. My co-travellers joked that it was our first certificate received from an airline! =P

IMG_8845

IMG_8850

IMG_8846

So, here I am on my flight to Darwin and I am even more excited because it’s my first trip there. I saw photographs of the country from the internet and was mesmerized by how beautiful the place is. I am really looking forward to stepping on Darwin soil soon. =)

The flight time is 4 hours and 45 minutes and Darwin is 1.5 hours ahead of Singapore. The flight has been very smooth and comfortable so far. The air stewardesses are polite and attentive. Inflight entertainment, though not individual, has been quite entertaining with episodes of Mr Bean, Just For Laughs etc. We were served orange juice & water once the aircraft took off, and breakfast was served shortly. I enjoyed my scrambled eggs with chicken sausage and mushrooms. It tasted very good and nothing like shabby airline meals at all. It was a pity that by the time the stewardess reached me, they had run out of the alternative selection of fish with noodles. Nonetheless, the overall experience has been very pleasant.

IMG_8854

IMG_8860IMG_8861

The skies were gorgeous as I looked out of my window. =) Such a pretty intense shade of blue. Love it.

IMG_8853

IMG_8857

I could totally stare at it for the entire flight, except I woke up at unearthly 5am to go to the airport this morning, so I’m zonked out by now. Taking a nap now!