Friday, November 08, 2013

10 Things I Will Never Say To My Kids

This topic came to mind when I was bathing one day, and I gave it some thought.

During my parents' parents' generation, psychological growth of children is not a big thing. Greater emphasis is placed on providing enough food for the family so that everyone can grow up healthy and strong. But this issue about child psychology has been gaining importance over the years. Parents now generally know that we need to be careful about the things we say to our kids or even the subtle signals we send out to them through our expressions and body language. There is power in our tongue, and words spoken to our kids can either build up or destroy their lives. As parents, we need to be conscious of this important truth. And so, I'm sharing my list of 10 things that I resolve never to say to my kids. I am sure you will have your own list too, if you are a parent. No model answer anyway - just some food for thought. :)

image

image

I don't remember ever saying these 10 things to my kids before, and I pray I will never make such a mistake, whether in a fit of anger of not. Words spoken cannot be retrieved back. More often than not, the damage is already done, and the extent of damage can be very grievous. I pray with all my heart that I will be a wise mom - one who builds up my kids' confidence and self-image and not tear it down constantly with my hurtful words. Most of all, I want to be remembered by my kids as an encouraging mom who always believes in them, no matter what. :)