Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Cafe-Hopping In Penang

Visiting cafes is my kind of soul food.

That is the reason why when I was planning my Penang trip, I tried to include as many different cafes into my itinerary as I can. Over the years, Penang has developed its street and cafe culture, mostly by tapping on its rich heritage and vintage styles. Apart from very unique cafes, you will also discover many beautiful boutique hotels as you walk the streets. The next time I visit Penang, I’m definitely staying in one of them.

I wish I had more time in Penang to visit all the lovely cafes, but I only had time to visit 3 of them. Looks like I definitely need to go back to Penang again. =P

image

As the name suggests, the theme of the cafe is all about moustaches. I have to say that their food & drinks are not fantastic, but because I am a huge fan of moustaches, this was one of the cafes top on my list to find.=D

IMG_4487 IMG_4490

Check out these cute straws with moustache dressers - Brightens up any drink, methinks!

IMG_4495 IMG_4496 IMG_4498

The swing seats added a fun element to the space, but they are stuck to the ground, so you can’t really swing on it. Would be fun to be able to do that though, haha!

IMG_4493 IMG_4505
IMG_4500

There are props provided at the cafe for guests to play around and take photographs with. Love themed cafes! =D

IMG_4499  IMG_4503 IMG_4504

image

MoonTree 47 is a vintage cum guesthouse, and I fell in love with its rustic furnishing the moment I stepped in. I love how different spaces were carved out for different groups of customers and of course, all the vintage decorations and paraphernalia. I spotted stuffs from my childhood that I can no longer find in modern Singapore, and for a moment, nostalgia washed over me. The food and coffee’s pretty good here – It’s a perfect place to rest your legs after hours of walking on the streets, or simply enjoy a quiet afternoon read.

IMG_4714

IMG_4712 IMG_4692IMG_4691  IMG_4694 IMG_4696 IMG_4698 IMG_4699  IMG_4702 IMG_4706 IMG_4708

I thoroughly enjoyed my pita bread with cheese, mushrooms, sausages & bacon – It was such a hearty meal! I  highly recommend you to give this a try when you visit MoonTree 47 cafe. :)

IMG_4710

The husband ordered scones (which were only so-so) and they were served with margarine and jam.

IMG_4711

There is a retail shop at the entrance before you reach the cafe area, and apart from buying pretty and vintage items or gifts for your friends, you can also purchase postcards, personalize it with the uniquely-Penang rubber stamps provided at the shop, stick on stamps and drop them into the bright red postbox at the front of the shop! The postman would collect the postcards once a week and deliver them. Pretty cool to do something like that on a holiday yeah? =)

IMG_4715 

image

This is a cafe recommended by our local friends who told us that their coffee is one of the best in town. They are also famous for their yummy bagels and yoghurt, so there was no way we were going to miss that. Plus, the interior decor of the vintage cafe is super pretty as well!

IMG_4876 
IMG_4840 IMG_4841 IMG_4842

Love this space in the cafe where you can get some natural sunlight yet still feel cooled down by the air-conditioning. So laid-back and relaxed.

IMG_4844
IMG_4852

Shophouses are the main architectural structures along the streets of Georgetown. Love their vintage look!

IMG_4845 IMG_4847 

Continue walking and you’ll come to a different space in the cafe where the lightings are dimmer and you can enjoy some quiet time sipping coffee there.

IMG_4849 IMG_4850 IMG_4851  IMG_4855IMG_4854 IMG_4859   IMG_4857 

We tried their bagels – I had the bacon & egg bagel and the husband had the turkey ham bagel – Both were delicious! The sesame seeds on the toasted bagel bread made it really fragrant. The coffee’s really good too!

IMG_4864 IMG_4873

Another specialty of the cafe is their yoghurt so we ordered one with mangoes and walnuts. It was really refreshing!

IMG_4868 

Yet another cafe with props and backdrops provided for photo-taking. We had fun with this one. =)

IMG_4860 IMG_4867

Too many cafes but too little time!! Here are some cafes on my list that I hope to visit the next time. Some ideas in case you are planning a trip to Penang soon. :)

Cafe 55
47-55 Lorong Stewart

Behind 50
50 Lorong Love

Kwong Sang House
36 Leith Street

China House
153 & 155 Lebuh Pantai

Cozy In The Rocket
262 & 264 Lebuh Pantai

Click here for all my posts on Penang.