Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Markets In Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh is not like Bangkok where you can shop till you drop. Fashion trends are virtually non-existent there, but if you are looking for the ‘market experience’, you can probably get it. There are several markets in Phnom Penh which you can visit such as Central Market, Russian Market, Olympics Market and also some weekend markets that appear near the river when weekends come. We visited the Central Market & Russian Market, and both are pretty similar though I prefer the latter. We didn’t buy anything from either places because nothing is really nice or fanciful – Everything on sale looks like something we can find in Singapore in the 50’s.

Since I went with the expectation to just walk through the markets, observe how the locals buy and sell and have a taste of Cambodian markets, I was pretty happy even though I bought nothing. The kids were of course not interested in culture-related stuffs, so I kept them entertained by taking photographs. It occupied them very well, and at the end of it, I sifted through some really good photographs of what I thought were good reflections of what the markets were like. I told them specifically to take photographs of people, and I was pretty amazed at how good some of the photos turned out to be. All the photographs in this post were taken by them.

This is a visual journey through Phnom Penh’s markets through the eyes of my kids. =)

IMG_4132 IMG_4141 e IMG_4054 IMG_4056 IMG_4064 IMG_4074 IMG_4086 IMG_4092 IMG_4095 IMG_4097 IMG_4098 IMG_4117 IMG_4130

IMG_4164 IMG_4165

What do you say? Do you think my kids have potential to be great photographers when they grow up? :)