Monday, November 09, 2015

Tokyo Travel: Shimokitazawa

We devoted Day Two in Tokyo to Shimokitazawa – Our fav place in Tokyo.

IMG_2615  IMG_2614

If I am going to live in Tokyo, I will surely choose to live in Shimokitazawa. It used to be a quiet neighborhood many years ago but in recent years, it has developed a hip culture that attracted many people to visit – Both locals and tourists. I love Shimo because of streets are lined with cafés, restaurants and little shops selling vintage fashion, lifestyle products, stationeries, etc. It’s such a good place to shop and dine at, and you can certainly spend the whole day there. Think Haji Lane in Singapore, multiplied 20 in size – That’s Shimokitazawa for you. Getting to Shimo is a mere 5 to 10 minute train journey from Shinjuku or Shibuya, and there are two exits, so make sure you explore both.

IMG_2619IMG_2620
IMG_2624IMG_2625IMG_2626

Breakfast was settled at Pebble café – I realised that most café serve toast for breakfast in Japan and I’m not complaining – Their breads are fluffy and chewy and way more delicious than the ones we have back home.

IMG_2627IMG_2629  IMG_2631

My egg mayo sandwich set was delicious. If you chose other sets such as tuna or ham sandwiches, your set would come with a hardboiled egg. The Japanese eat their hardboiled eggs with a small dash of salt.

IMG_2632IMG_2635IMG_2637IMG_2638

This has to be my absolute most fav shop in Shimo. The last time I went, I spent hours in that shop, pouring over all their merchandises. This time round, I did the same. I also bought many rolls of washi tapes because they are so cheap in Japan, as compared to Singapore!

IMG_2640IMG_2642IMG_2643IMG_2646

Shimo also has all kinds of cute and adorable shop shutters, and I could not resist taking photos with them, much to the amusement of the locals I think.

IMG_2647IMG_2650IMG_2651IMG_2652

Came to this really lovely part of Shimo that made us feel like we stepped  back to ancient Japan. Perfect spot for an OOTD shot.

IMG_2656IMG_2657IMG_2668IMG_2671IMG_2664IMG_2665
IMG_2676IMG_2678

Lunch was settled at Rainbow Café. The café was located on second storey and we had window seats, so lunch was a relaxing affair feasting and people-watching the streets below. =)

IMG_2682  IMG_2684

My lunch was chicken curry with rice – That roasted pumpkin was so good!

IMG_2685

The husband had steak and a glass of red wine. Savory and delicious.

IMG_2688

But those buffalo wings were my fav! Crispy, tasty and such comfort food.

IMG_2689  IMG_2691

After lunch, we had coffee at Bookends Coffee Service. Such an experience sipping hot coffee by the roadside in cold windy weather! Definitely my idea of a good holiday.

IMG_2696

Dinner was settled at a restaurant in Shibuya before we made our way to Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.

IMG_2697IMG_2698

And this was the reason why we visited the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. There is an observatory deck open free of charge, and from there, you can see magnificent views like this. The building has two towers, and the North Observatory is open till 11pm (Last entry at 10.30pm) for night views. For day views, you can go to the South Tower (closed at 5pm). To get to Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, take the train to Tocho-mae Station on the Oedo Subway Line. Alternatively, take a 10-minute walk there from the west exit of JR Shinjuku Station. I wish the observation deck was open-air though!

IMG_2700

Read my post on Tokyo Day 1: Arrival, Accommodation & our First Taste of Goodness
Read my post on Tokyo: My Little Pony Café in Harujuku