Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Valley Of Parenthood

Excuse me while I verbal vomit for a while. This blog has weaved too much of a fairytale fantasy about the beauty of raising up kids that I am bringing all my readers down on earth today.

The past few days have been pretty tiring because Baby Jayne got into this ‘I-just-want-to-whine-all-the-time’ rut. I mean, previously she already whines pretty much, but the past few days have been gloriously worse. The worst part of it was putting her to sleep. She would close her eyes, then suddenly burst into a struggle of some kind, as if I was trying to murder her. I don’t even want to go into the screeching non-stop crying that starts right after that pretty much last for about 90 minutes flat.

People say that your patience levels improve at an exponential rate once you have kids. The person who said that probably doesn’t have kids yet.

I have to admit, I’ve always been an impatient and quick-tempered person. You can probably tell by the speed at which I talk and walk. I cannot stand slowness in general – Slow people, slow speech, slow movies. I need everything to be fast and excellent. I may be petite in size but those who know me know they cannot mess with me. I bite, basically. If you are slow, that is.

But I am truly put to my wits’ end when I face a cute snuggly little thing who whines and cries and scratches me with her sharp nails whenever she doesn’t feel comfortable enough and I can’t scold her, or beat her or even nag at her. She simply doesn’t get any of those. When my sanity leaves me and I complain into her face, she just wails even louder and fiercer. Not exactly what I was hoping for, quite frankly.

What used to work sadly does not work for this period of time. Nothing I do can pacify her to sleep. Not the usual soft music, dim lighting and cool air-con. All she wanted to do at an unearthly 11pm…… is to stay awake.

The battle occurs even during naptime during the day. She would wriggle and struggle when I put her into a sleeping cuddle position in my arms, when it all used to be a breeze.

Please do not tell me politically-correct stuff like ‘All babies are like that!’, and ‘Babies cry and whine, don’t we all know that??’ because

MY BABIES HAVE NEVER BEEN LIKE THAT!!!!! SO STOP TELLING ME IT’S ALL VERY NORMAL AND OKAY, AND IT WILL ALL PASS ONE DAY, AND I WILL LOOK BACK TO THESE DAYS WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I’m sorry, please excuse me. That was a necessary outburst right there. After all, it’s been almost a week and I’ve lost my sanity many times over. I’ve shoved milk bottles, pacifiers, bolsters and tranquilizers into her mouth many times and got everything spat back at me. Nothing worked.

OK, I might be over-exaggerating here and a more realistic truth would be that my baby has been more difficult than usual and my usual is very well-behaved and easy sleeping pattern. I don’t want to get used to this whiney and seemingly normal stage for babies. I want my peaceable easy baby back!!!!!!!! Today, now, immediately!!!!!!!

ok, I’m done. Peace.

Back to the very cute baby that I have!!! Frankly, when she’s not whining, she’s really cute. =)

IMG_8271

Yes, anytime to keep her quiet for a while. =P

IMG_8272