Saturday, December 03, 2011

First-Ever Kitchen Hygiene Study

Sponsored Review

As parents, I believe our main concern is that our kids grow up healthily and strong. And since most of the meals they take probably are produced in the kitchens in our own homes, it becomes very important that our kitchens are hygienic and clean. In fact, according to the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore, one of the most common causes of food poisoning is the improper handling of food at home. So when I received the findings of the first ever kitchen hygiene study via email, I thought of sharing the findings with my readers because the tips provided in the report are really useful for me personally.

The Finish/ Bosch Kitchen Hygiene Study was commissioned to evaluate consumers’ knowledge and current practices of basic kitchen hygiene and food preparation, as well as the microbiological status of kitchen sponges, washed dishes and chopping boards used in households over a period of one week.

“Our goal is to raise awareness among Singaporeans on how they can work towards better
household hygiene practices to protect their families against harmful bacteria and germs, and
prevent the spread of unnecessary infection at home,”
said Veronika F. Rost, General Manager of
Reckitt Benckiser.

The study reveals that while most consumers surveyed reported positive attitudes about reducing
the risk of foodborne diseases domestically, an overwhelming majority does not implement food
safety practices.

Check out these alarming findings!

 88% of sponges tested were found to contain Salmonella and/ or E.coli
 Nearly 1/3 of the dishes tested contained traces of Salmonella and/ or E.coli
 20% of chopping boards had Salmonella and/ or E.coli
Kitchen Hygiene Habits
 92% of the households surveyed think they have moderate to complete control over getting food poisoning at home
 88% think they are informed about the risks of getting food poisoning at home

Salmonella is a common cause of food poisoning, and E. coli is a bacterium that can potentially
cause serious infections, and even produce a powerful toxin that causes illness and occasionally
severe blood problems and kidney failure.2 According to the Ministry of Health’s Weekly Infectious
Disease Bulletin, 2011, on average, 2,370 cases of acute diarrhoea are reported each week in
Singapore and are nearing the warning level of 2,400 cases weekly. (Sounds super scary!)

Other key findings of the Study include:
 None of the participants have an automatic dishwasher, and all washed their dishes
manually.
 Only 20% of participants change their kitchen sponge regularly (every two weeks or less),
and 60% only change their kitchen towel after using it for more than one month.
 None of the participants used hot water, which is necessary to kill bacteria, when washing
their utensils or dishes. Only a small percentage wash their kitchen sponges and kitchen
towels using hot water.
 72% of participants use the same kitchen sponge to wash their dishes, utensils and other
surfaces such as the sinks, counter tops, cutting boards and stoves – all of which could result
in cross-contamination, a common cause for foodborne illness. In fact, the presence of
Salmonella and E. coli in sponges, dishes and chopping boards from same households
implies a high level of cross-contamination.
 44% of participants do not wash their hands at all times after handling raw meat.
 Of the households surveyed, 72% had children and/or household help.

“A dishwasher is a proven and effective method to kill micro-organisms such as E.coli and
Salmonella
,” said Maggie Wang, Regional Marketing Director for Bosch and Siemens Home
Appliances (BSH Home Appliances Pte Ltd). “These foodborne pathogens, which thrive in
temperatures of up to 44°C, are unlikely to survive a standard cycle in a dishwasher where
temperatures can rise up to 70°C.”

Finally, this is the most important part of the kitchen hygiene survey that we as parents should take note of:

 Eliminate harmful germs with a dishwasher – a dishwasher utilizes high water temperatures
and water pressure, and coupled with the powerful chemicals of the dishwashing tablets, is
proven by studies to remove up to 99.9% of bacteria and germs. Moreover, it eliminates the
need for dish sponges and kitchen towels, thus reducing the risk of cross-contamination.
 Wash your hands frequently during the food preparation process.
 Sterilise your dish sponge and dry after every use.
 Change and sanitise your kitchen towels frequently, and use different kitchen towels for
different purposes to reduce cross-contamination.
 Use different chopping boards for raw, cooked and ready-to-eat food.

Check out this video, which gives a good overview of the survey findings:

After going through the report, I feel SO GLAD that I have a BOSCH Dishwasher at home. Washing my dishes in it sets my heart at ease that everything is cleaned to the best possible level. I don’t have to worry about dishes that are not cleaned thoroughly or properly, and best of all, I don’t have to get my hands soaked in detergent & dirty oil-stained water all the time!

But I also feel VERY GUILTY that I have committed so many of the mistakes mentioned in the report! I definitely don’t sanitize my kitchen towels, or sterilise the dish sponge after every use. And I am guilty for using the SAME chopping board for raw and cooked food alike. I always thought that as long as I wash them after every use, it’s fine! =( Looks like I have much to learn in the area of kitchen hygiene. I want to be able to protect the health and well-being of my family!

Hopefully this heightens your awareness of the importance of kitchen hygiene as well! =)