Monday, April 02, 2012

My Darwin Journal: Streets of Darwin City

Day number one in Darwin was spent roaming the streets of Darwin City Centre. Right after we dropped off our bags at our hotel room, we set off to check out what Darwin streets really look like.

Our friendly hotel receptionist passed us this brochure with useful directions to the City Centre.

IMG_8935

The view outside the hotel was fabulous. The sun was merciless though. I had my shades on most of the time, and the sun felt like it was pricking my skin! Apparently, you need sunblock with extra high SPF when you are in Australia as the sun’s really bad.

IMG_8901

We took this link bridge everyday to get to the City Centre. The bridge conveniently links the city centre to the harbour, which was right outside the hotel I stayed at.

IMG_8904

IMG_8906

I love taking photographs of signage boards whenever I visit another country because we seldom get to see them in Singapore. Especially so if it’s a signage board for a shop/restaurant we can’t find in Singapore. You’ll see a few of these in this post. =)

IMG_8954

Darwin is a very peaceful place. Quiet, and not many people on the streets. The feeling of walking the streets there was therapeutic because you seldom get that in busy & congested Singapore. We even joked that it all felt like we were walking into a gigantic filming set where everything was backdrops and sets & props. There was almost no one except for us!

IMG_8907

A pretty cathedral that we passed by along the way.. Such a beautiful place to get married in, me thinks!

IMG_8909

My feet on Darwin ground. =)

IMG_8910

Another thing I would look out for during my travels is car plates. Love seeing the words ‘Outback Australia’ on them. =)

IMG_8911

We were walking along Darwin CBD area. This is the place where the government offices and lots of businesses reside. We also saw several heritage & historical sites.

IMG_8913

IMG_8914

The Darwin public bus looks so much like our SBS buses. =P

IMG_8916

Darwin City is super clean. You can’t find any rubbish anywhere on the streets. I remembered Melbourne & Sydney being like that too. And every single public toilet I’ve visited there was sparkling clean. Love it. =)

IMG_8917 

Graffiti on walls. The Osama Bin Ladin portrait is really a masterpiece.

IMG_8937

IMG_8919

IMG_8924

Darwin is unique because it has the largest Aboriginal population there. The aboriginal people are the original inhabitants of the Australian continent. Today, they live among the modern Australians, but you can tell who are they by their skin colour. They have very dark skins and some still don traditional costumes. More about that in my next posts.

IMG_8927

IMG_8929

IMG_8930

IMG_8931

IMG_8932

As you can, things are not cheap at all. What with the exorbitant exchange rate of S$1 = AUD1.36 (=.=)

IMG_8933

Oh yes! I also love shopping at the supermarkets during my travels. Love checking out what they sell that I cannot find in Singapore. So much fun to do that! =D

We were at Coles Supermarket!

IMG_8951

Spacious with lots and lots of products on sale.

IMG_8947

This is the best part of overseas supermarkets – Cooked food section! Brought back fond memories of the huge supermarket I went to in Los Angeles, where they sold pasta, salads, wedges, fried chicken, by weight! Happiness!!!

IMG_8948

(But of course, really NOT cheap here.)

IMG_8949

How do you like Darwin so far? =)