Thursday, May 24, 2012

Stereotypes Or Gender Preferences?

Even if you are not a parent, I'm sure you would have noticed how children automatically gravitates towards certain toys according to their genders. Boys typically like cars, dinosaurs, outer space and all kinds of kungfu characters. Girls, on the other hand, prefer dolls, bears, cooking, fashion, make-up etc. I always wonder if that's caused by stereotypes in our society, or God had, in His divine wisdom, put in those bits of girly or boyish genes into their DNA.

Whatever the case, I am glad that God made little boys and little girls different. That definitely makes the world more interesting. I don't have boys, so I might never know how a boy develops and grows. But my two girls at home are definitely the typical girly kinds - They love pink, pretty clothes, dolls and are always interested in my shoes, bags and cosmetics.

Whether or not you have kids, I am sure you know who is Barbie. She's a character who has managed to maintain her popularity through the years, and has brought much joy to many little girls (including me). I remembered with fondness how a cute boy from my class in Primary School gave me a Barbie doll as a birthday present when I was in Primary Three. I was so impressed that he actually bought me a Barbie doll that I crowned him as my favourite boy that year. Thinking back, I can't believe I actually still liked Barbie dolls when I was already 9 years old?! My own kids have been playing with Barbie dolls since they were two! A check on Wiki told me that Barbie is supposed to be a 17-year-old high-school girl. But, the truth is, Barbie is already 53 years old this year. Definitely not a teenager anymore.

This love for Barbie doll obviously got passed on from me to my girls. We have a stash of Barbie dolls and Barbie-imitations at home with clothes, shoes and bags. Only one was bought by Papa Isaiah; the rest were presents from friends on birthdays and Christmas. See what I mean? People generally will buy dolls for girls and cars for boys. It's a social stereotypes whether you like it or not.

In that respect, my girls are definitely mainstream. They love Barbie dolls and they can play the clothes changing act the whole afternoon. And for that, I'm really glad they have each other as companions. (So that they don't bug me to play. TYVM)

The one on the left is the original Barbie doll bought by Papa Isaiah. I have to say it's really the best in terms of quality and fashion sense.

The Snow White one is also original Barbie, if I am not wrong. It's one of the special Princess series and has really pretty facial features.

The Band of Sisters. A pity their figures are not all quite the same, so part of the wardrobe cannot be shared.

My girls are really proud of their collection of dolls as you can see.

Stereotypes or not, I guess there is no harm going crazy over Barbie dolls - It might even build up their akin sense of fashion. Just that, given the kind of clothes and dresses that these dolls come with, I am quite sure they won't quite fit in to our society. I pray my girls won't base their fashion sense on that standard. =P