Thursday, January 09, 2014

A Junior Prefect & A Kindy Kid

I love entering into a new year. I like the sense of liberation and hope because everything starts afresh.

Both the girls embark on a new journey this year – Joey begins Primary Two as a senior & junior prefect, while Jayne starts Kindergarten 1 in a new childcare centre. It’s a new transition for them both, but exciting nonetheless.

On the last day of 2013, Joey went for a three-hour prefect workshop, where she was briefed on the duties and responsibilities of a prefect. Not only must their conduct be good all the time, they must excel in their studies and be a good role model for their fellow classmates. Pretty tall order for kids so young, but I am glad she didn’t seem too concerned at all. The most exciting part for her was probably being chosen as part of the team to do flag-lowering everyday. The Primary Two junior prefects are divided into two groups – 1 group will watch over the Primary One students during Assembly time, and make sure they are well-behaved while the teachers are not around. She was glad to be in the other group who handles flag-lowering instead, because according to her, ‘It’s more fun!’

Due to the new arrangement in her school this year, the Primary Three students have moved to morning session, thus leaving only the P1 and P2 students in the afternoon session. That meant that the P2 students have to be the buddies for the P1 students this year, a role that used to be taken on by the Primary Three students only. I love it when kids are given opportunities to hone their leadership skills and build up their sense of responsibility and accountability. Joey was even given two P1 buddies because some of her classmates missed school for the first few days. She very proudly came home and told me how cute her P1 buddies were. Can’t believe it was merely a year ago when she went through that herself! Such experiences make school fun and meaningful, don’t you agree? :)

When I think about Jayne, I am often reminded of how God shows His love for me through this girl. I’ve experienced many prayers answered in this girl’s life, and remembering those blessings always bring a smile to my face. Years ago when she was born, I used to bring her to the nursery in my office. But for some reason, she kept falling sick and I was taking leave every other week to look after her at home because I could not bring her to the office nursery where there were many other babies too. Even though my boss was very kind and understanding, I got fed up with the frequent sick episodes. There was once I got so exasperated I told God that if He provided this baby, He must make a way for me! God answered my prayers, and He touched the heart of my mother-in-law, who came to me and volunteered to look after Jayne for me at home (much to my delight!) even though she really didn’t want to look after kids anymore after being a babysitter for many years herself. It had to be God who moved her heart. That began her 2 years of staying at home and best of all, she stopped falling sick altogether!

Then we started her for Nursery 2 last year at the nearest childcare centre we could get. Even that meant we had to speed-walk 20 minutes to and fro everyday, pushing her in her stroller because it would be too much for her to walk that distance. It was physically tiring and draining especially after a long day of work. When it rains, I would have to take taxi to and from the school because it’s unsheltered all the way. There were days I felt really frustrated. Again, God heard my cries and this childcare centre nearer to my house suddenly called me late last year and asked me if I was still interested to send my kid there. You see, that childcare centre was about 10 minutes’ walk from my home but so popular that I was Number 70 on the waiting list. The reason why they contacted me was because they built two more extensions of the centre JUST NEXT BLOCK TO MINE! The school fees were similar but the distance cut short by 80%, and all the way sheltered! When I put down that phone call, I really felt the love of God.

Her first day in the new school was yet another miracle on its own. I was expecting her to cling on to me and refuse to let go, but that didn’t happen. In fact, when I spoke to her Teacher at the end of that day, she told me that she has never seen a child with as strong an adaptability as Jayne. She went to the Teacher and introduced herself as, ‘I’m the new girl.’, which I thought was pretty hilarious. Then, she participated actively in all the discussions and even told her classmates (who refused to answer questions that the Teacher asked) that, “Come on everybody, don’t be shy. Answer Teacher!” When she paired up with another girl to do some sharing, she also encouraged the girl not to be shy and share what she thinks. The Teacher ended off by telling me, ‘I’m very impressed.’ I felt like a really proud mummy.

I think Year 2014 has gone off on an amazing start for me. How has yours been? :)

P/S: I have a giveaway coming up TOMORROW. Stay tuned.

Linking up with:

SANses.com's Talkative Thursdays