Tuesday, March 11, 2014

School Holidays Idea: Feast On Mount Faber

Media Invite

It’s been a while since I last dined on Mount Faber. The last time I did, it was with the hubby at The Jewel Box’s alfresco dining area. I remembered it was beautiful, romantic and classy, and those of course came with a pretty big price tag. It was alright though, since I wasn’t planning on visiting the restaurant every weekend – it’s more like a place for special occasions, and definitely for dates without the kids. The couples on hot dates would not be too pleased with my kids who can be too loud sometimes. =P

When my family was invited to a dinner at Jewel Box last weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the whole place has been revamped, to give it a more casual and family-friendly feel. Renamed as Spuds & Aprons, the classiness was still there, and the views up on Mount Faber was just as amazing, especially when night fell, but I certainly would have no qualms about bringing my kids there for a meal now. The best thing is that the new menu is now friendlier on the pocket, which is always a good thing.

image

Dining with a beautiful view like this is such an enjoyment. I can imagine how relaxing it must be, to come by for dinner and drinks after a long day of work, or during the weekends with family and friends. Away from the hustle and bustle of city life, this is a great place to relax our minds while enjoying good life and watching the cable cars go by. During the weekends, you can even catch the fireworks from here at 8pm – from the ‘Songs of the Seas’ musical on Sentosa. :)

IMG_6247 
IMG_6249

I like how warm and cosy Spuds & Aprons is. The staff were attentive, polite and very friendly, and made us feel very well taken care of.

IMG_6250
IMG_6258

How can you tell that a restaurant welcomes kids? – A kids’ meal section on the menu, of course! :)

IMG_6255

Joey ordered the Roast Chicken & Pineapples Pizza ($7), and it came in a pretty huge portion. It was thin-crusted with crispy edges, and pretty yummy. Other items on the kids’ menu include Mini Salmon Steak, Spaghetti & Meatballs and Potato Croquette, all at less than $10 each.

IMG_6282

Check out the drink I ordered – Spuds & Aprons Soda in lychee flavor ($8). It was so refreshing, and the best part was the bubbles found in the drink – They were flavor bursts – the moment I bit on one, it burst open with lychee syrup splashing out in my mouth! Along with the Nata D’Coco, this was such a happy drink!

IMG_6256 IMG_6257

Small bites were served before the main courses arrived, and I really enjoyed them. No wonder they are the signature dishes – Each was unique and very delicious!

This Wicked Fries & Gravy ($8) is a comforting pan of thick fries drenched in 6 types of cheeses and brown gravy. The cheese was very tasty and not overwhelming. A really popular dish among kids and adults alike - Joey couldn’t stop eating it!

7

This next starter dish was perfect for hubby and I because we are crab lovers. Chili Crab In A Tux ($12) is a delicious and hearty combination of spicy and sweet crabmeat stuffed in potato skins. It would totally whet your appetite for the main course and make you incredulously happy. I think I do not need to elaborate further.

6

The Asian Caesar Salad ($12) was interesting and special because there was barbecued meat (yes, bak kwa!) in it. The mix of the barbecued meat, refreshing greens and the salad sauce was perfect.

5

Are you a fan of roasted meats? If you are, you should totally order this at Spuds & Aprons:

4

We gave a loud gasp when this arrived. The roasted meats looked so fabulously done, ohmygosh! This dish of Crispy Pork Belly ($26) was soaked in hot tub and slow cooked until tender, while the skin was roasted perfectly crispy. This was totally worth the calories!

The hubby had Grilled Ribeye ($35), and this was done in the way he loved it – Medium rare! The meat was juicy and tender, and the roasted potatoes on the side were delicious too, well-marinated with herbs. This 150-day grain-fed ribeye was served with truffle butter on the side – definitely won the hubby’s heart (and tummy).

3

And my favorite dish of the evening was what I ordered – Tobiko Crusted Cod Fillet ($28). This Atlantic cod fillet was served with green tea soba and aged ponzu sauce – Very, very fresh and delicious! Every bite was filled with goodness and happiness, and the sauce was so sweet and comforting. The mushrooms and green vegetables completed this dish and made it a really hearty dish - I thoroughly enjoyed it!

2

No meal would be complete with desserts of course, and what better way to end off a great meal than a Jar of Happiness ($10)??

1

This was a Jar of Happiness indeed - Shortbread biscuits with almond flakes, mixed berries, Ben & Jerry’s vanilla ice-cream, topped with warm berry compote – How much more perfect can it get? I was very full but I just kept going scoop after scoop until I finished it all up. I felt very happy indeed! =P

IMG_6291 

As night fell, the colorful lights came on. Dining on Mount Faber is indeed a wonderful experience for all our senses, and I am so glad that I now have one more option for dining with my family. With the newly revamped style and menu, I would definitely be bringing my family here for meals more often from now on. :)

IMG_6292 IMG_6300

Spuds & Aprons
109 Mount Faber Road, Level 2, Singapore 099203
www.mountfaber.com.sg

Operating Hours: 11am to 11pm (Sun to Wed) | 11am to 1230am (Thu) | 11am to 2am (Fri & Sat & Eve of PH)
15% OFF total bill at Spuds & Aprons for cable car ticket holders.

Click to read the rest of the posts in this series:
Sch hol special logo