Monday, May 05, 2014

Cafes At Jalan Besar: The Bravery

Jalan Besar looks set to be the next hotspot for cafe-hoppers. I love how the cafe culture is slowly building up in Singapore – We have so many choices and options now compared to years ago! Just at Jalan Besar, 13 cafes have sprung up and the first I visited was The Bravery.

Speaking of my first visit, it was nothing short of embarrassing. The shopfront was so seamless that I couldn’t find the door. =.= I tried pushing a panel that vaguely resembled the door but it wouldn’t move. As I walked away, one of the waiters opened the door from inside and asked, ‘Miss, you wanna come in?’ Ahem. Now as I think back, the door was differentiated by a panel with a different colour – I really shouldn’t have made such a blunder.

The interiors of The Bravery is like construction in progress. I guess the charm lies in its rustic and industrious look. I have a soft spot for fairy lights, so that totally won me over. An interesting observation is that many cafes now have a gigantic centrepiece table, which is a perfect setting for strangers to meet and have coffees together. It used to be that cafes are set up with small tables so that small groups of friends can chit-chat and have their private conversations. Large tables like these work both ways – If you have a large group, you do not have to sit at separate tables; and if you are there alone, you don’t have to occupy one whole table that usually seats 4, and feel self-conscious about it.

IMG_8076

The setup in The Bravery is obviously made for larger groups of friends. The tables are arranged in long rows, which of course can be separated into smaller private groups if need be.

 IMG_8080

Love their round leather stools.

IMG_8100

IMG_8081

This horse is a signature decor in The Bravery. I was very tempted to go touch it.

IMG_8084

While I kinda like the cosy interiors of The Bravery, the food was not exactly fantastic. The banana pancakes were quite good, but the coffees were bleh. Menu is also very limited to mainly sandwiches and the usual coffee & tea. But as always, the cafe decor is more important to me than the food quality.

Iced coffee is not too bad, compared to the Lavender Latte, which is their signature drink. Both hubby and I didn’t like it.

IMG_8088 IMG_8092

I enjoyed my Beef Steak Ciabatta though I thought it was a little pricey at about $15.

IMG_8098

The husband ordered toast with jam, which tasted like ……. toast with jam.

IMG_8101

Love this stack of pancakes! Comfort food. :)

IMG_8103

Smoked Salmon sandwiches ordered by my friend. Just so-so.

IMG_8105 

This is absolutely random, but these were the cute friends I visited The Bravery with:

anigif

The Bravery
66 Horne Road
http://thebravery.com.sg/#home