Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Review: Learning Piano At Home With JoywaltzStudio

Service Review

Joey has asked me several times to let her learn the piano. I had been hesitant because I was not sure if her interest would last, and most importantly, logistically, it was a little tough for us to bring her for lessons. When Joywaltzstudio approached me on a review opportunity, I thought it was a perfect chance for Joey to try it out.

Since 2011, Joywaltzstudio was the first to introduce the Little Pianist Course and private courses with the use of the innovative flexible Rollup Piano and currently they are widely offered & highly received in several international schools & clubs like Etonhouse Pre-school, Canadian International School (Lakeside & TKG), etc.

The private course offered by Joywaltzstudio was great for me because the classes are conducted in my house, which saves me the logistical nightmare of sending my kid for lessons. I was told that a full length course lasts 10 weeks of one-hour class each, but in a private setting, the pace is much faster as the child gets full attention of the teacher. It is expected that Joey should be able to play simple songs by the end of the 4th lesson, which is great! I was excited to see how she would progress and if we should proceed with a full piano course after that.

IMG_7476 

The teacher came with the course books for Joey at the first lesson, and I sat through half of the lesson to see what was being taught. The course books helped to explain the basic music concepts in simple terms so that kids can understand them fast. The teacher, Ms Fiona, was friendly and gentle, and was able to gain a rapport with Joey fast. That definitely made the lessons more enjoyable for her. :)

IMG_7477

Joey’s 1st lesson was conducted …… on the floor because Joey insisted. Ms Fiona agreed to do that because she was mainly teaching Joey the theory portion at the 1st lesson. Subsequently, all the lessons were conducted on a study table so that Joey could play on the roll-up piano with the right posture, sitting upright.

IMG_7457 IMG_7461

For a beginner like Joey with no prior background in music or piano, I understand that she was bombarded with many musical concepts at one go and that can be quite stressful. But Ms Fiona was patient and would remind her again and again when she forgot what’s a crotchet or treble clef. =P Ms Fiona also loaned us the lyra roll piano so that Joey could practise at home whenever she was free.

IMG_8441 IMG_8444

From someone who has absolutely zero knowledge and skills of piano when she started, Joey managed to play a decent song (with all the correct timing!) by the 4th lesson. That’s pretty amazing, I say!

So, what do I like about the course provided by Joywaltzstudio? I like it that the classes are conducted in the comfort of my home at a timing that is good for us. The lyra roll piano is also one of the best options offered by Joywaltzstudio because it allows my kid to go through some basic piano lessons without me having to commit to buying a real piano yet. This is especially useful if we are not sure if our kids are serious about learning the instrument, and are just trying out the lessons first. Above it all, I feel that their charges are very reasonable for private courses. If you are also looking at starting your kid on piano, perhaps on a trial basis first, check out http://joywaltzstudio.com/ or contact them to find out more.

Thank you Joywaltzstudio for four weeks of trial lessons!

IMG_7475

That was Joey’s selfie with Ms Fiona! :)