Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Cafes In Toa Payoh: Niche

It was a Monday, and I had only a few hours to spare before heading home to fetch Joey from school. So, we thought of finding a nearby café to chill. “Nearby” basically means we can get there via a single MRT train ride without having to change lines, and so Toa Payoh, it was. Niche was not our first choice, but the café we initially wanted to visit was CLOSED, even though the website said it was supposed to be open. =X But mistakes are beautiful, because it led us to this very lovely café where I had the yummiest scone ever.

Niche is a quaint little café located at Toa Payoh Lor 1, right in the neighborhood filled with provision shops, hair salons, hardware shops, etc – you get the idea. Love what I saw the moment I stepped in.

IMG_0924

The space was small, but the owner maximized the seating capacity by having counter seats on both sides as well as a few square tables with stools.

IMG_0915

There were many options of pastries and cakes available – Quite a surprise given that the café was so small. You’ll find pound cakes, chiffon cakes, cupcakes, scones, cookies, and tarts, etc. If you are visiting for the first time, I absolutely recommend you try the chiffon cake and the bacon cheddar scone. The latter, especially, was one of the best I’ve tried.

IMG_0916IMG_0918

I’ve tried many sweet scones before, but savory is really more of my thing. This bacon and cheddar scone was done to perfection, in my opinion. It was buttery, crumbly and very hearty. Love how the two matched so well together!

IMG_0928IMG_0929IMG_0930IMG_0933

The lychee frizz was refreshing and cooling, especially on a hot and humid day!

IMG_0932

I wish I stay at Toa Payoh Lor 1 now, so that I can buy the scone every time I crave for it! =X

Niche Boulangerie
128 Lor 1 Toa Payoh, 310128