Saturday, October 22, 2016

WICKED–The Musical (Review)

Growing up, I’ve always been a kid with a love for music, dance and performances. One of my fondest memories of my Primary School days was putting together and performing a full-length original musical known as “The Crazy Coffeeshop”, using songs by Dick Lee and based on a script written together with my classmates. It was meant to be a hilarious performance to appreciate our Form Teacher then, but it was so well-received that the Principal heard about it, and made us perform it again to the whole school. Oh, those were really fun and glorious days – Perhaps it was then my love for musical started to grow.

When I heard that Wicked was coming to Singapore, I could not suppress my excitement. It was one of those musicals I’ve heard raving reviews about, and really wanted to watch. I was so grateful that I was given the chance to review the musical as a blogger – a privilege that I’m always grateful for – and I brought my kids along, even though I wasn’t sure if they would enjoy a show that was neither cutesy or Disney. Turned out, they both enjoyed it so much! I guess it’s true what people say – There is no distance in art – no age, gender, race or religion matters when appreciating the arts.

Green shoes for Wicked – Legit.

20161009_131226-01

If you are unfamiliar with the story of Wicked, it is basically a tale about two unlikely friends - the blonde and popular Glinda and the green-skinned outcast, Elphaba. While Glinda is pretty and popular in school, Elphaba is the one who is ostracized by friends because of her skin color. This colorful musical of wizards, witches, sorcery and magic weaves in thought-provoking scenes of friendship, loyalty, love and pride. Wicked has captivated 50 million theatregoers of all ages, and is already one of Broadway and the West End's most celebrated, spectacular and successful musicals of all time. It is also a winner of 100 international awards, including three Tony Awards on Broadway and two Olivier Awards in London's West End. It is an original production that you cannot miss!

Apart from the beautiful costumes, stage design and captivating storyline, I was most won over by the superb singing of the main casts. Glinda & Elphaba have such powerful vocals that I felt my goosebumps at several points of the performance. There was so much emotions in their voices, and one cannot help but be led by them into the storyline. I walked out of the theatre feeling so overwhelmed – It was such a great show!

Wicked is brought to you by an international cast who have flown in for a special limited engagement, so make sure you catch it before it ends on 20 Nov 2016. Tickets are still available at http://www.sistic.com.sg/events/wicked1116s

WICKED – THE MUSICAL
Dates: Thu, 29 Sep - Sun, 20 Nov 2016
Timing: Tue - Fri: 8pm; Sat: 2pm & 8pm; Sun: 1pm & 6pm
Tickets: $55 - $230
Venue:  Grand Theatre, MasterCard Theatres at Marina Bay Sands

 

Disclosure: The J Babies was provided with 3 complimentary tickets to review WICKED. All opinions presented in this post are solely ours. No other financial compensation was received.