Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Christmas Listing: Brotzeit German Christmas Menu

Media Invite

Yes, Christmas is all about feasting with our loved ones! More than all the good food, I find it a joy to indulge in the relaxing and celebratory atmosphere everywhere we go this season. Good food is a must in every celebration, and it doesn’t get more perfect than enjoying it in the midst of laughter and sharing of stories that happened through the year. Speaking of which, if you are a meat lover, I’ve found just the perfect place for you this Christmas season! The husband and I had a really lovely ‘date night’ at Brotzeit German Bier Bar & Restaurant last week at the outlet at 313@Somerset, pleasantly surprised to know that there is actually an indoor air-conditioned Level Two of the restaurant. Now, bet you didn’t know that right? Oh well, you’re welcome. :)

I may not be a super meat lover, but I do love my pork knuckles and I’m sure you know that’s the star at Brotzeit. I couldn’t wait to try it alongside with Chef Ranner’s Christmas creations this year!

IMG_1272

True enough, I love the beers! Now, that’s really quite something for someone like me who doesn’t enjoy beers. I am more of a wine or cocktail person, but the beers at Brotzeit were awesome! The husband had their Limited-Edition Brotzeit Kellerbier' – a beer specially brewed as part of their 10th anniversary celebration, and mine was a fruity version called the 'Affensaft' Wheatbier with mango juice . Absolutely delightful!

IMG_1274

The beers were smooth and easy to drink and not bitter like other beers I’ve tried. I definitely recommend you order a beer to match your food with – They go super well together! I would say that Christmas is one of the best festive seasons to enjoy a meal at Brotzeit with your family and friends – The whole restaurant is nicely decorated with soft music playing in the background. Thumbs up for their ambience - I almost forgot it was a weekday night and there’s work the next day! =P

IMG_1275 IMG_1276IMG_1279

Then came the glorious food - The first dish totally surprised me. At first glance, it was a platter of items that I prefer not to take normally, but I was glad I tried them anyway! This appetizer on Chef Ranner’s Christmas Menu, aptly named Seafood Medley ($25), truly creates a symphony of senses not just visually, but on my taste buds as well. Tuck into this really appetizing dish of smoked trout, salmon gravlax, anchovies and prawns with caramelized lemon, horseradish cream and pickled olives, and I guarantee that you will start craving for more. The smoked trout was especially delightful and packed with strong smoked flavors (even though it looked very raw on the surface!) that I could not help but take a second helping. Mind you, I typically don’t take raw or smoked food, but this was just irresistible! (OK, now I sound like a really picky eater! =X) Curious about those little round bits?? Those were mustard seeds! How amazing – My first taste of mustard seeds!

IMG_1283

The fried prawns were needless to say – Savory and really awesome. Prawns are my favorite food of all time and when it’s deep fried, there is really no way I would say no to it. All in all, this appetizer dish is super yummy!

IMG_1284IMG_1285

Then this traditional classic dish often served in German restaurants appeared before us – Braised Duck and Cranberry Sauce ($32)! The duck meat was so tender and moist, with flavors thoroughly infused through the slow roasting. The sides were perfect – Crunchy red cabbage and a unique style of potato dumplings rolled in almond slivers. I enjoyed this dish so much up to the last bite! This is an epitome of comfort food at the highest level.

IMG_1289

The potato dumplings were unlike any that I’ve tried before. I adore potatoes and these are mashed-up versions rolled into balls, rolled in almonds and then fried – Whoever thought of this ingenious dish ought to be given a Nobel prize! =D

IMG_1290

Now, on to more meat dishes. For a perennial favorite on Brotzeit’s festive menu, we got to savor a tender cut of juicy Venison Steak ($42) paired with almond-potato dumplings and bacon-wrapped asparagus spears. Timing is of the essence when it comes to steaks, but look at how perfectly cooked this steak was! Every bite was tender and juicy, and absolutely delicious. Oh, and have I mentioned how much I love bacon with asparagus? Now, you know.

IMG_1292IMG_1295

Finally, the star of the evening appeared. The Christmas Sharing Platter ($118) is for those who want it all and of course, great for groups of friends to share. In this platter, you’ll get the signature Roast Pork Knuckle, a selection of Veal and Venison Sausages, Roast Pork Roulade and Veal Shank, with ample sides of seasonal vegetables, mash potato and dumplings to satisfy a group of four persons and above.

IMG_1296

It would not be exaggerating to say that this is a piece of art. Not only is it a feast for the eyes, everyone was probably thinking which item to attack first, after taking all the photographs we need. Even the guests from the other tables were all looking over and gasping at the amount of goodness on that one wooden log tray!

IMG_1320 

The little pot of truffle mashed potatoes with fried onion shreds was super awesome. That’s the side dish you will get if you order the Veal Shank (as above), which is slow-braised and so tender & savory.

IMG_1316 IMG_1318

The pork knuckle was beautifully roasted and the crackling were extremely crunchy. The flesh was tender and extremely flavorful, and I can finally understand why everybody says you have not been to Brotzeit if you have not tried their pork knuckles! These are just perfect with their traditional beers.

IMG_1307IMG_1315IMG_1319

Chef Ranner’s Christmas specialties extend to dessert as well. Expect to discover a typical festive market treat of warm, crisp Choco Drizzled Waffles ($12) with walnut ice cream, plum sauce and a drizzling of decadent molten chocolate! Oh, so good!

IMG_1325

Really festive looking too, don’t you think?? Love it.

IMG_1327 

Finally, we ended our evening with a unique glass of Brotzeit’s homemade Gluehwein ($12) – a mulled wine spiced with cinnamon, oranges and cloves, for a truly German Christmas flavor. I enjoyed this so very much – It’s like having red wine warmed up. My tummy felt really happy after downing this glass of goodness! 

IMG_1333 IMG_1331

Can’t wait to try the Christmas menu for yourself? Hop down to any of their outlets soon and you too can enjoy a great Christmas feast this season - Guaranteed to satisfy even the most picky tastebuds! More on http://www.brotzeit.co/

Disclosure: The J Babies were invited for a media tasting at Brotzeit Germain Bier Bar & Restaurant for purpose of review. All photographs and opinions are our own and no other financial compensation was received.