Thursday, October 07, 2010

Bak Kut Teh and The Snack From Mummy’s Time

I live in Woodlands and virtue of the fact that it’s faster for me to get to JB than to Orchard Road, I actually go to JB quite a fair bit. There’s lots of cheap shopping there, great and cheap food and a lot of nostalgic traces everywhere. It’s amazing, but even though the 2 countries are only separated by a Causeway, JB is like 20 years behind Singapore. Very old feel.

And so, on one of my usual trips to JB recently, we just randomly chose a shop to have lunch, and no joke, just any shop serves up fabulous food. That’s JB for you.

This happened to be a Bak Kut Teh shop.

IMG_0124

IMG_0131

The people at the shop was very nice and immediately offered a snack to Baby Jayne when they saw her. It was a snack she’s never tried before, but something we all grew up eating at some point or another. It was a snack from my time. =)

IMG_0125

I don’t know what this is called in English, but basically, it’s some kind of sourish sweet snack that many kids love to eat. It’s very appetising actually!

IMG_0126 

She likes it!

IMG_0129

Gosh, this snack transcends generations!

IMG_0135

I love her pout. :)

IMG_0133

IMG_0134

And oh, the food was good!!!! =D The bak kut teh is served in a claypot, and it’s got ingredients such as pork ribs, beancurd skin (very yummy!), straw mushrooms, shimeji mushrooms… Very nice!!!

IMG_0139

And this! I had to order this because ginger chicken is one of my most fav dishes!

 IMG_0141

And this pot had a generous serving of ginger shreds! Very shiok!

IMG_0143

Clap clap clap for the awesome lunch! =D

IMG_0136