No doubt about it – The generations do get smarter and smarter. They get more exposed to new things at a younger age. They go through better and more sophisticated education. They live in a much faster and smarter world.
And so, it’s no surprise my daughter is smarter than me. But I still get surprises now and then.
1. She has a better SENSE OF DIRECTION than me.
OK, I got to admit: I’m absolutely hopeless in my sense of direction. I can’t seem to get my ball bearings right. Every time I go to a public washroom, I lose my way when I come out of it. It always takes me a while to figure out where is the exit back to the shopping mall. =.=
About two weekends ago, I went to Queensway Shopping Centre with Joey. Papa Isaiah was checking out some soccer boots in a shop and Joey wanted to go to the washroom. We went in search of the washroom, made many, many turns at various points before we found it. If you’ve been to Queensway Shopping Centre, you’ll know that the layout is pretty confusing. It’s very easy to get lost. When we came out of the washroom, I casually told Joey (actually wanted to scare her) that I don’t remember the way back and we might have to search for a while. She immediately said, ‘I know the way!’ and literally dragged me all the way back to the very shop Papa Isaiah was in!!! She was so confident at every turn that she didn’t even hesitate, OMG!!!! I was super impressed with her!
2. She has a better MEMORY than me.
Ok granted: I’ve given birth twice and people say you become forgetful after giving birth. So I’ve got a valid excuse. And Klessis and numbers don’t go well together at all. I can’t remember number combinations, for goodness’ sake.
And so, the story goes that Papa Isaiah set a access password for our PAD, so before we use it every time, we have to key in a four-digit password. I remember numbers best by linking it to a certain pattern, so each time I have to key in the password, I think of that pattern (for example my birthday or wedding anniversary) and I remember what the code is.
Joey saw one of us key in the code once, and she remembered it immediately! Since then, she’s never asked any one of us to help her key in the code. Just once, and she remembers. Thumbs up.
3. She doesn’t need to learn how to use NEW GADGETS. She just starts using them.
We’ve gotten many new gadgets over the years and even though she was not formally trained to use them, she picks up super fast. Laptops, DS-Lite, ipod nano, iphone, iPAD, Portable DVD player, etc. While I take some time to figure out how everything works, she does it with a lot more ease. Nothing is too difficult or too high-tech for her. It’s as if she was born knowing what to do. She might grow up to be a techie for all I know.
For all you know, by the time it’s my great grand daughter’s time, we might have a Nobel prize winner in our house. =)