Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Some Things Must Be Caught

Before I had kids, I used to have this silly idea that when I have my own kids, I would devout much time teaching them about filial piety so that they would take good care of me when I am old. I figured that if I repeat to them everyday, ‘You must be filial to daddy & mummy, take care of us & give us lots of money when we are old.’, the concept would get drilled into them.

Somehow, reality is often not as straight-forward and simple. Plus, I’ve also come to realise that many things in life are ‘caught’ and not ‘taught’. Kids especially, learn most effectively through modelling after someone they respect in life. That simply means, if I want my kids to turn out good, I better behave good myself.

One thing I am very proud of Papa Isaiah is that he is a filial kid. He is not a mummy or daddy’s boy, nor has he done anything extraordinarily great for his parents, but I know in his heart, he takes upon himself the responsibility to take care of his old folks. While this seemed like the most natural thing to do, I must say not everyone does it as willingly. And not just towards his parents, he also shows a lot of affection for his grandmother who lives in JB. Even when we are busy and caught up with many things in our daily lives, he often thinks about her, and wants to make time to visit her. This is the kind of filial piety that I hope my kids can catch from their daddy.

It’s always heart-warming to see him with his grandmother. There is this great affection in his eyes and loving smile that doesn’t leave his face. It’s no wonder – Papa Isaiah’s grandmother is a very lovely old lady, whom I’ve grown to love as well. =)

IMG_5179

We are thankful that Grandma is a Christian, and for an old lady over 80 years old, she has surprisingly clear mind. She recognises everyone, including her great-grandchildren! She even cooks soup, do gardening and does little sewing projects. I think she’s just amazing – Possibly one who cannot sit still, just like me. =D Both my kids love her so, and I’m glad they bring her a lot of joy. =)

IMG_5184

IMG_5186

Papa Isaiah led a prayer for Grandma before we left the house. Such a great blessing to have an elderly in the family who believes in Jesus. We prayed that she would be strong, healthy and have peace and joy in her heart. :) Such a lovely sight, don’t you agree?

IMG_5225

IMG_5226

Be blessed, Grandma… We love you so! =)