Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Project Not-Just-About-Me: Part 1

The idea of doing community work came rather randomly one fine day. My cell group is made up of working adults, married couples, parents and children, and I thought it would be both fun and meaningful to get everyone involved in a community project together. And since we have so many children in our cell group, it would be most apt to reach out to underprivileged children in our society, and it would be an excellent opportunity for our kids to learn about showing care and concern to those who are less fortunate than them.

And so, the planning started and I started emailing several parties, hoping to get in touch with associations that we can work with. It was our first attempt, but we thought we could start with something small like an excursion. Something to help us befriend these children, then hopefully build on it for future events. I emailed the Singapore Children’s Society, and they linked me up with Henderson Student Care Centre, one of the centres under their care. The children at their centre mostly come from underprivileged homes or neglecting family backgrounds. Most of them are also poor and because both parents are working hard to support the family, they spend a lot of time at the Centre everyday.

The excursion finally happened last Saturday after a couple months of planning. Very grateful to our kind sponsors who made the excursion possible and for the gifts and lunch provided for the kids!

  • Thank you SENTOSA LEISURE GROUP for sponsoring free entry tickets to Sentosa Island for all the children and volunteers.
  • Thank you SENTOSA IMAGES OF SINGAPORE for sponsoring a guided tour to the Images of Singapore for all the children and volunteers.
  • Thank you SENTOSA 4D MAGIX for sponsoring free entry tickets to two attractions: Pirates 4D Magix Show and 4D Extreme Log Ride.
  • Thank you MC’DONALDS for sponsoring 30 Happy Meals for the children’s lunch.
  • Thank you CITY HARVEST CHILDREN’S CHURCH for sponsoring stationery sets as Christmas gifts for the children.

It truly wouldn’t be possible for us the bring the children for a Saturday morning of fun if not for these generous sponsors! Thank you! =)

I personally had a lot of fun on Saturday and mingling with the children. I’ll let the photos do the talking! =D [For full photo coverage, please check out our facebook page]

DSC_0016

Proud of our children who woke up bright and early on a Saturday morning to join us for a meaningful cause. You’re never too young to make a difference!

DSC_0004

When we reached the Centre around 9.45am, the kids were already seated in two rows and waiting for us patiently! I must admit, I didn’t expect the children to be so well-behaved. I mean, I thought they would be somewhat more difficult since many of them may come from tough family backgrounds or are neglected by their families. But I was so wrong. Every single one was well-mannered and very well-behaved throughout the entire excursion.

IMG_5702

While waiting for our coach to arrive, we took photos of the ever-ready-to-pose kids! Haha! They were so adorable & friendly!!

IMG_5705

As usual, the girls love to pose while the boys look awkward. LOL!

IMG_5706

Setting off to Sentosa! The weather was glorious & bright!

DSC_0009

IMG_5715

The excited faces on the coach to Sentosa. I remember feeling all excited and happy whenever I could go for excursions as a kid!

IMG_5717

IMG_5720

IMG_5721

IMG_5722

Our 1st stop in Singapore was at Images Of Singapore. Sentosa arranged for a guided tour for us, and it was educational for both the kids and the adults! I can’t even remember the last time I visited the Images of Singapore (previously known as Wax Museum??), and my memories of it were the many wax figures of historical characters. When we were brought through the exhibition halls, I was totally amazed at how much it had changed! It was a lot more interactive and interesting now! I’ll be covering the exhibitions in greater detail in my Weekend Snapshot series =)

Our friendly tour guide, Kasturi!

DSC_0024

We were frankly very amazed at how knowledgeable the kids were! Half of them are from Lower Primary, while the other half are from Upper Primary, but many of them could answer most of the questions posed by the guide, on the history of Singapore! I didn’t even know the answers myself. =X

DSC_0030

DSC_0044

Part II coming up tomorrow! =)