Thursday, January 12, 2012

TCM Junkies

Most people give me a blank look when I tell them that my kids love to eat bitter traditional chinese medicines. I have no logical explanation for this, except that my kids probably belong to the rare 1% in the entire kids population who like it bitter. Their favourite snack of all-time (get ready for this) is AMERICAN GINSENG SLICES.

IMG_6868

I know, very atas kids I have. You should see how their eyes light up whenever their grandmother flashes out her bottle of ginseng slices. You can liken it to Tom seeing Jerry – They literally pounce and grab in the most un-ladylike manner.

IMG_6869

But I guess I have to thank my lucky stars that at least they like something healthy and nourishing to their bodies. The ginseng slices must be taken in moderation though, as they are potentially heaty. So the kids take only 2-3 slices a day. It’s a delicacy they look forward to everyday. *roll eyes*

IMG_6871IMG_6872

Thankfully because of this strange trait they have, they are very okay with taking bitter TCM powder that makes them calm and sleep better at night. Eu Yan Sang’s Ba Poh Powder is one ‘magic’ herb powder that kind of knocks out both kids whenever they take it before bedtime. They literally fall asleep and not move or have bad nightmares throughout the night till the next morning. Yes, just like magic. And therefore I call it the magic powder – Am I creative or what?

The only sad thing is a pack of Ba Poh Powder that comes in 6 tiny tubes sets me back by $36.50. If I go strictly by the instructions, for Joey’s age, she should be taking 2 bottles each time. Pui! Good health is expensive! But of course, the powder has been working like a charm every time we use it, and thus the main reason why I still go back to Eu Yan Sang periodically to get my stocks of magic powder. It not only cools down the body and keeps the kid calm and ready for bedtime, it also acts as a gentle medication for fever. It’s too expensive for daily use of course. My kids take them about once a week, usually after a long week of intense learning and play, so that they can have a well-needed rest and ready for a new week. =) I’d like to think that because of all these tonics my kids take, they’ve been falling sick a lot less nowadays. And healthy kids always mean happy kids + happy parents! =D