It’s funny how encouragements come our way sometimes. More often than not, they come when we least expect it.
One of the many reasons why I’ve kept my blog alive all these years is because I needed encouragement and motivation to stay a happy mum. The blog is pretty much a happy one – 95% of the contents are happy and fun. As I write about the happy stuffs I’ve done with my kids and the hilarious things they’ve said, the happiness factor is doubled. Having a blog is also a way of speaking to myself. Everyone can do with positive self-talk.
That of course does not mean that my journey as a mum is a smooth-sailing one without any hiccups, disappointments or frustrations. Quite on the contrary, I face a dosage of a little of each almost on a daily basis. Coupled with some happy, fun and enjoyable moments in between, of course. Motherhood in itself is contradictory and very complicated. Just like any human being, a mum goes through emotional roller-coasters and experience extreme feelings of ecstasy, intense frustrations and guilt all rolled into one. I would be utterly honest to say that on some really bad days, I wish I don’t have kids and am back to my swinging happily-married-with-no-kids days. Those days are rare, but they do exist, sorry to burst your bubble.
Just as I was having one of my not-so-good days, trying my darnest best to be a good mum yet feeling angry & frustrated at how bad my best is, I read a tweet posted by a colleague. It says, “….. on days like these, I am reminded that for this season, I am here for my kids.”
Out of the blue, that tweet spoke to me in such a deep way.
I’ve never really seen my situation that way before. I’ve complained silently in my heart and to my hubby before that very often, I feel like I have to sacrifice many things simply because I needed to stay home with my kids and take care of them. I cannot stay out late with my friends, sit inside the main hall for Sunday services, serve more in my church ministries or go all the way in my job. While I do love my kids and enjoy spending time with them, I lament that I have to forgo certain things in life simply because I am a mother of two young kids and I needed to take care of them. I sometimes feel like a naggy old hag, nagging at myself and knowing nothing’s gonna change.
But the truth is, motherhood is a calling. I am called to be a mum to my two kids at a time like this, to care for them, to nurture them, to coach them, to guide them and simply, to be there for them. FOR THIS SEASON, I AM HERE FOR MY KIDS.
It is amazing how God works. He used one tweet to open up my heart to see the simple truth. Just a click, and my mind set was completely changed. I felt like my whole thinking had been transformed, and instantaneously, I felt liberated. From that moment on, I embraced every moment I spent with my kids and there was no more dread or negative feelings if I have forgo something just to accommodate my kids’ schedule. It all made perfect sense to me now. Only I, and no one else, can perform that role as The J Babies’ Mummy. And even if it meant I had no time to do anything else, that’s okay.
Photo taken godzillion years ago
I just love it when God uses a human method to send me a timely divine message. It reminds me of how much God loves me. He wants me to become a better person, a better woman, a better mum. And he wants me to be happy.
Now, I dare say God approves of social media. =P