We passed by The Central shopping mall sometime last week and chanced upon this pretty balloon display. Everything was so colourful and pretty that we can’t help wondering in and snap a shot or two. The girls were especially elated, seeing so many balloon sculptures in the form of a beautiful garden. It definitely made our day!
In the garden, we saw lots of flowers, butterflies, birds and cute insects. Everything was vibrant and happy-looking. Any kid would love the balloon garden. =)
I am very sure it takes a lot of effort to get so many balloons together to form something so pretty. I’m amazed at the creativity!
My favourite pieces in the whole garden were the parrot and the ladybug. =D So adorable!
We enjoyed ourselves in the balloon garden! Colour therapy works!
There were also corners set up for the kids to do colouring. This is just the thing that would attract my kids anytime. They can colour anytime anywhere.
* * * * * * * * *
DIY PROJECT: FELT TOY-MAKING!
I came across this section in Daiso the other day and the DIY bug crept up to me again! So I bought these home, not knowing what I can make.
The flower & button cut-offs are easy. I had an idea to make hairclips for my girls. And I did! =D
Tip: You don’t have to use superglue to stick the cut-outs to the black pins. Just use some clear nail polish and it’ll stick fine. More kids-friendly too, I say!
And so, with the felt material that I bought, I decided to explore making a felt toy. Haha.. That’s a pretty big feat considering I’ve never been one of those sewing people. But I thought there’s nothing to lose anyway, and who knows, I might fall in love with it.
This was what I cut out from my materials: Two orange faces, big white mouth, orange tongue, two white & black circles for the eyes and two triangles for the nose. Pretty manageable still! Those colourful threads you see in this pic will be used for the sewing. This entire lot’s only for $2. I love Daiso.
This is a 30%-completed piece. I sewed the mouth with a dotted line, and also sewed crosses as eyes. =) It’s taking shape!
It’s actually up to you how you want to do your sewing, so anything goes. I wanted to do a funny mouth line with a tongue sticking out, so this is how it looked after I sewed on the mouth. I also cut out two little black legs and glued them on.
Then I sewed both orange faces together with the box stitch (I don’t know what they’re called!), leaving one portion unstitched so that I can fill in the cotton wool or synthetic foam. You can find those at Daiso too. After the filling is done, complete the sewing!
Tada! The complete felt toy! =)
I attached a string to it, and it now hangs on the cupboard in my kids’ room. =)
Now that I’m more confident, I’m going to try making bigger ones next! =D