I’ve been hesitating to ask cyberspace this question, for fear of the answers that I will get.
Growing up, I used to fight a lot with my younger brother. On some rare days, we appear as the best of friends as we devise little games to entertain ourselves. On majority of the rest of the days, we are at loggerheads, and always squabbling and fighting over something. I used to think it must be because I am a girl and he is a boy, and opposites who do not attract usually violently repel. But, truth dawned upon me one fine day. My girls are both girls, and they still fight. My theory has been proven wrong.
I used to wish I had a sister to grow up with, so that we can share clothes, shoes, makeup and perfumes. We could go shopping together, share juicy gossips about our friends and guys we are secretly in love with. Of course, I would never know how is it like to have a sister. And I had secretly placed all my hopes on my girls. Turned out, sisters do fight too. And these girls of mine are especially talented in WWF kind of fighting. I swear I didn’t watch violent movies during my pregnancies. Not my fault.
Quite amazingly though, both girls are made tough and even though they undergo all types of violence inflicted on each other by each other everyday, there’s not been any serious injuries so far. Sometimes when I watch them fight (err, you mean you don’t watch?), I always worry one of them might break an arm or a leg. Interestingly, contrary to common beliefs, they do not pull each others’ hair. They bite on some occasions though, when they are quite upset. Other than that, it’s just a lot of leg kicking and palm slapping. Yep, I’m serious.
But of course, there are good days and there are bad days. All siblings quarrel and fight, but they really don’t do it like 100% of the time. On the good days, they co-exist peacefully and it can be quite a pretty sight.
I especially like it when Jayne puts her arm over her sister. That kind of affection is so heart-warming and puts a smile on my face instantly. And it’s crucial I put up these few photos of peaceful co-existence just to calm my nerves while writing this entry and getting increasingly worried by the minute.
Just in case you are wondering why they are seated in front of the grille gate, they were chatting with our neighbour next door. The Malay boy is one year older than Joey, and they’re the only kids on our floor, so they are good friends.
So comes the golden question, which I really don’t expect any answers, unless it’s a Yes: “Do your kids fight too?”
Ok, you don’t say.