Monday, May 07, 2012

The MRT Excursion

It seriously doesn’t take much to excite kids.

Over the weekend, I had to bring the kids to meet some friends for a birthday dinner, and I decided to take the MRT, much to my kids’ delight. You see, we used to own a car until we decided to sell it about a year ago. Since then, whenever we are out with the kids, we would take taxis everywhere we went. The kids seldom get a chance to take buses or MRT, so they were really excited. Every time we leave the house and hop into a taxi, they would go, ‘Huh? Taxi AGAIN??’ Kids nowadays ought to be more thankful. =.=

Anyhow, Papa Isaiah left the house earlier to run some errands, so I decided it was a good chance to do our all-girls MRT excursion. Fingers crossed, no less. It was my first time bringing both kids on the MRT by myself. And these are not ordinary kids - They belong to the hyper-active-adorable species.

Turned out, our excursion went pretty well. It probably helped that I delivered a lengthy prep talk before we left the house about ‘Etiquette on the MRT’. Never take chances if you are dealing with kids. You don’t want to land yourself in a situation where you wish you could dig a hole in the ground and hide yourself, but know that’s not possible. See, bad experiences in life definitely earned me wisdom nuggets. I told the kids that they were not to stand on the MRT, unless we couldn’t get seats, and they were not to swirl themselves around with the stand poles. They were also not to talk loudly, laugh loudly or get into embarrassing squabbles or fights. Thankfully, none of that happened. In fact, the whole journey was very peaceful. Joey brought her books and read them, while Jayne basically stoned throughout the trip.

IMG_0133

IMG_0138

IMG_0137

I enjoyed the MRT ride all the way from Woodlands to City Hall, and I’m sure the girls did too. At least, it was something different from our usual taxi rides, and there were a lot of people-watching to do.

IMG_0135

I guess it does gets easier when the kids are older. Now I feel more confident about bringing them out for shopping trips all by myself. And that’s a most liberating thought, to say the least.