Sponsored Review
Everyone who knows me knows that I am a food-lover. I derive a lot of joy from eating good food in a lovely place with nice ambience. To me, that is one of the simple pleasures in life.
This week, I was glad to be invited to a food-tasting session at The Halia. This beautiful restaurant is situated within the lush Singapore Botanic Gardens at the Ginger Garden. I had imagined that the food tasting would be conducted in a large group setting as most food tastings are. But I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival that it was going to be an intimate session with three other parent bloggers. We were there to sample the Mother’s Day Menu, specially created and put together to make mummies feel extra special on this occasion. =)
It was my first time at The Halia, and I loved the ambience of the restaurant. Because of its unique location, you will find yourself surrounded by beautiful greeneries while you dine, and that totally makes for a wonderful dining experience. This is The Halia during the daytime, and you can imagine how romantic & serene it is when night falls and all the orange lights glow.
The interior of the restaurant is warm & cosy. I love the use of natural materials like dark wood and stones everywhere that makes the restaurant blend so well with its surroundings.
I loved the welcome drink which was refreshing and totally perked me up for the night. The Halia Jive ($12) is an ice blended concoction of fresh ginger, fruit punch, orange, honey. I am a lover of ginger, so this totally won me over.
The Mother’s Day menu is a 4-course Dinner, available only on 11-13 May.
Freshly made breads were served. So yummy, especially with the dip sauces provided. I had to curb myself from taking more than one, just so that I can keep my tummy for more yummy food to come.
This is not part of the Mother’s Day 4-course dinner, but was served complimentary. There is edible flower on top of passion fruit jelly cubes. Very subtle and appetizing. =)
Here comes the Mother’s Day 4-course Dinner!
Starter: Capsicum veloute with pan-seared lobster and truffle oil
Again, there is the use of edible flower in the soup. I love how the chef infused elements of the Botanic Gardens into the cuisine. This soup is flavourful and not too heavy. I am not a fan of truffle oil, but it was thankfully not overpowering. What I loved most is the pan-seared lobster. Adds a really fresh taste to the soup.
Entrée: Tian of crab in garlic aioli, egg white, beetroot petal and chive with mille feuille of buttered brioche and passionfruit puree
The combination of crab, beetroot and egg white was light and rather appetizing. I also love how the dish was presented. Pretty to the eyes. =)
Main Course: Choice of Char-grilled Rangers Valley beef tenderloin with puree of butternut squash, cranberry beef jus, soft herb salad in green lime vinaigrette and edible flowers
or
Pan-fried line-caught sea bass fillet with yuzu orange reduction, siphon of truffle mash potato and lait de soja
I opted for the sea bass fillet, and it was SO GOOD. The fish was so sweet and juicy. I could taste minimal seasoning, and that was what made this dish so yummy. I could really taste the freshness and sweetness, and there was no fishy smell/taste at all. I didn’t quite like the truffle mash potato though, mainly because I don’t like truffle oil. But the crust that contained the mash was delicious.
Dessert: Choice of Milk chocolate bar, orange caramel ice cream, blood orange gelee
or
Strawberry gazpacho, cocoa streusel, basil sorbet, black peppercorn snap
Option 1 was what I had. The milk chocolate bar was really delicious! I love the crunch at the bottom layer. The ice-cream was yummy too.
On top of the Mother’s Day 4-course dinner, the restaurant also served up portions of items available on their Mother’s Day Weekend Brunch menu for sampling. This brunch will only be available on 12 & 13 May, 10am – 4pm.
This was an interesting dish of Parmesan and basil fregola, tempura of green asparagus and baby nasu, vine-ripened tomato and morel emulsion ($34). Fregola tastes like something between barley & risotto. The asparagus was especially yummy!
Every brunch menu must have poached eggs, and this was one of the best I’ve tasted so far. Poached eggs on brioche, dill hollandaise, roasted brown mushroom, spinach & tomato with crisp back bacon ($25). The bacon and mushrooms were cooked to perfection and very tasty. The bread was toasted crispy and had a nice salty taste.
For those who fancy a lighter brunch, you may opt for a salad. Granny Smith apple salad, grape, yuzu walnut, raisin, parmesan & candied orange twist in honey mustard dressing ($20) I like how light and refreshing it was.
For the more adventurous, you can choose to order Half dozen seasonal baked oysters ($30)
You can decide how the oysters are to be prepared: Spicy sweet pepper, onion, baby radish, parmesan gratin or have it with sautéed baby spinach & garlic, Pernod deglaze, nutmeg, parmesan gratin. I didn’t try as I don’t take oysters. =)
I was so full by the end of the meal. It was such a fulfilling and delicious meal! To end off the meal, the restaurant served up hot ginger tea, much to my delight! I absolutely love hot ginger tea, especially when I’m extremely bloated!
This is known as the Halia Infusion, which is the house specialty of sun-dried ginger & wild mountain honey ($10). The ginger was soaked for one hour before it was served. Spicy and hot. So good. So good.
We had such a great time feasting and chatting through the evening. =) Thanks to our host from FoodNews (Far left), and of course The Halia for a wonderful meal.
The Halia 4-course Mother's Day set dinner is priced at $140++ per person with the beef main course, and $150++ per person with the sea bass main course. This menu is also available as ala carte instead of a set. If you are looking for a lovely and quiet place to bring your mum or wife for a special Mother’s Day treat, do consider The Halia!
* * * * *
The Halia is located at 1 Cluny Road, Ginger Garden, Singapore Botanic Gardens, Singapore 259569. For reservations, please call 6287 0711 or email alicetang@halia.com.sg. Kindly note that reservations will not be accepted for brunch.