Friday, January 24, 2014

The Jayne Logic

I thought that life will finally be good after Jayne changes to a new school at the beginning of this year, but I was very wrong. This new school is a lot nearer to my house compared to the previous one, so that means we cut down on quite a bit of walking everyday to and fro the school. It is only reasonable that the girl would need some time to get used to the new school, new environment, new teachers and new classmates. I expected her to whine and cry before school for a while, but it’s beginning to take a toil on me and she’s not showing signs of relenting yet. On some days, the resistance to go to school was so great that it drained out every ounce of energy in me.

I’ve tried reasoning with her, hoping that she would understand the importance of going to school. But she is beyond reason most of the time:

Jayne: I don’t want to go to school.
Me: You have to go to school, babe. It’s good for you.
Jayne: No, I don’t want to go to school.
Me: Why don’t you want to go to school?
Jayne: I don’t like the teacher.
Me: Why don’t you like the teacher?
Jayne: She makes me drink a lot of water.
Me: But drinking water is good for you. She doesn’t want you to dehydrate.
Jayne: No, I don’t like to go to school.
Me: But why???
Jayne: Teacher asks me question, I don’t know how to answer.
Me: Then all the more you must go to school! You need to learn new things.
Jayne: I know everything already. I don’t need to learn.
Me: But you just said you don’t know how to answer the questions?
Jayne: I don’t want to go to school.

And it goes on and on on repeat mode, mostly with me asking her why and she telling me she doesn’t want to go to school.

This latest episode happened last night while we were having dinner:

Jayne: Today is Friday.
Me: No babe, today is Thursday. Tomorrow is Friday.
Jayne: NOOOOO! Today is Friday!
Me: You remember wrongly. Today is really Thursday. Friday is tomorrow.
Jayne: How can it be?? You don’t know your days! Today is Friday!!!
Me: Why do you have to insist that today is Friday??!
Jayne: Because if today is Friday, tomorrow will be Saturday and there is no school on Saturday!
Me: …………..

I sincerely hope that this is just a passing phase and she will resume her school-loving self. This is way too tiring to deal with every morning. =X Obviously, every kid is different. With Joey, I’ve had tantrum-throwing mornings at the school, but she’d never refuse to leave the house. Looks like Jayne is set to be the more feisty one after all. God bless me.