Thursday, May 29, 2014

I Want To Be A Healthy Yummy Mummy

You might think it’s strange that with all the healthy lifestyle and clean eating talk going around in recent months, I was not affected by it at all. I love to eat, and to me, eating equates to happiness. I don’t see eating as a form of keeping my body healthy, but more of a way to keep my sanity and my mind happy.

The epiphany came to me one morning when I was thinking about my dad, who is quite sick in his body, that I should keep myself healthy and strong, just so that I do not need to make my kids worry about me or take care of me in my old age. I should age gracefully and healthily, and still have the ability to do the things I love to do. This is not to say that my dad didn’t take good care of his health when he was younger – He was probably more concerned about working hard to give me a comfortable life. In any case, healthy eating was not a common talked-about topic until recent years.

And so, I went out to buy my first pack of raw rolled oats and a batch of my favorite fruits. I wouldn’t be overly ambitious and make drastic changes to my eating habits, but breakfast is definitely something I can start with. So, going by what’s everyone’s eating for breakfast now, I decided to start with overnight oats.

I shouldn’t terrorize you with the first overnight oats I made yesterday, because it looked hideous and wasn’t very tasty. The proportions of oats, milk and honey were not right and I made changes to it for today’s breakfast, and I hit jackpot! It was a yummy, refreshing and sweet concoction that I enjoyed.

image

2014-05-29-07-48-16_deco

Recipe:

Ingredients
3 tablespoons of raw rolled oats (I bought mine from Giant supermarket at $3/packet)
2 teaspoons of raw honey
Low-fat fresh milk enough to cover the oats in the cup
Strawberries, grapes and mangoes cubed
Granola with almonds

Instructions
1. Mix oats, milk and honey and top with fruits. Refrigerate overnight.
2. Before eating it the morning, sprinkle granola and almonds on top.