Friday, May 30, 2014

Stay Prepared All The Time

As a parent, I dislike being unprepared for emergencies. I hurl a gigantic haversack with me when I bring the kids out. The haversack contains their water bottles (to quench their thirst), dry tissues (to wipe their mouths after meals), wet tissues (to wipe their buttocks after big & small businesses), plasters (in case they fall down or cut themselves), extra clothes (in case they dirty or wet their clothes), diapers (in case they need to go toilet when there are no toilets in sight), etc etc. I think you get the point. I plainly hate it when I am caught in a situation when I don’t have appropriate supplies with me. And I am pretty sure I am not the only parent around like that. =P

I am glad I live in a country that’s relatively safe and sound. Like many Singaporeans, I feel safe bringing my kids out with me everywhere and know that everything is in order. However, this peace of mind should not translate to complacency because emergencies can occur anytime, and usually unexpectedly. Just like I do like to be caught unprepared as a mom, I don’t want to be caught unprepared as well when a national emergency does arise.

I am quite sure you would have heard of the ‘Stay Prepared’ initiative recently. This initiative by Temasek Cares, Singapore Power and Singapore Post serves to encourage individuals and families to be prepared for emergencies. A total of 1.2 million ‘Stay Prepared’ Starter kits were distributed to all households in Singapore in May. Each ‘Stay Prepared’ Starter Kit contains three 3M™ N95 face masks, instructions on how to wear the masks and emergency contact numbers.


(Image source: Todayonline.com)

Truth be told, 3 N95 masks is not enough for a household during an emergency. But this initiative definitely created an awareness among Singaporeans about the importance of being prepared for such times of emergencies should they arise.

The Committee also sent over a special package to my house and I thought it was such a neat idea to share! On top of the emergency kit, it is useful to get ready an Emergency Bag that contains items that can be useful during an emergency. Take a look at the following items that can be included in the bag. Now, the 1st Aid Kit would be very useful, but if you find it too bulky, you can always throw in the more important items into the bag and bring them along.

My Emergency Bag would be different from someone who doesn’t have kids, obviously. Apart from survival, I need to entertain the kids (which is for my survival as well).

image 

What’s your Emergency Bag gonna contain? :) No matter what your Emergency Bag contains, the important thing is to have one on standby at home, so that you do not need to panic when emergencies arise when you least expect it. Let’s move towards a more resilient nation for the safety of our families and us. :)